Share this article
The Amazing Austrian Wineries
Feiler Artinger is in the Austrian wine region of Burgenland, on the eastern border of Austria. Burgenland is famous for its large production of sweet botrytized wines.
Today, Kurt Feiler and his wife Katrin run Feiler Artinger, after taking over the family estate in 2013. However, the estate’s history dates back to the 1900’s, when Gustav and Karoline Feiler founded it. After the 2nd world war, Gustav and Karoline restarted the tradition of harvesting grapes affected by the Noble rot, to produce Ausbruch. Since then, the winery has been a key player in the region’s production of botrytized wine.
60% of the vineyard grow red grapes including, Blaufränkisch, Zweigelt, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Pinot Noir and a little Syrah. And, the remaining 40%, grows white grapes including, Welschriesling, Chardonnay, Neuburger, Pinot Blanc, Muskat Ottonel, Traminer, Ruländer and Gelber Muskateller.
The winery produces excellent dry and sweet wines, and many of their wines receive international recognition. In fact, in 1999, the winery received the prestigious “Late Harvest Wine Makers of the Year” at the Wine Challenge in London. Also, with a 4.5 out of 5 stars, from Robert Parker Jr the winery ranks among Austria’s best wine producers.
A wine tasting tour of the historical winery will not only result in you enjoying exceptional wines, but you will gain a wealth of information. The winery staff is generous with their time, wine and expertise, on the biodynamic management of their vineyards.
Learn about the Top UK Wines and Wineries!
Stift Klosterneuburg is one of the oldest Austrian wineries, with wine production in the estate beginning in 1114.
The Stift Klosterneuburg estate is in the Austrian wine region of Niederösterreich, in the northeast of Austria, bordering Slovakia and the Czech Republic. Niederösterreich is the largest wine region in the country, with its Austrian wineries producing more than half of Austrian Wines.
Stift Klosterneuburg is one of the oldest Austrian wineries, with wine production in the estate beginning in 1114. The winery holds the legacy of the historic Klosterneuburg Monastery, and the vineyards are its pride and heart. The estate vineyards are in four wine villages across the region and grow different grapes.
- Klosterneuburg – Grüner Veltliner, Riesling and Sauvignon blanc
- Vienna – Weissburgunder (Pinot Blanc), Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Gewürztraminer and Gemischter Satz
- Gumpoldskirchen – Zierfandler and Rotgipfler
- Tattendorf – St. Laurent, Zweigelt, Blaufränkisch, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot
Although the grapes grow in different villages, winemaking takes place at the state-of-the-art winery in Klosterneuburg. The winery produces the award-winning wines Klassik and Single Vineyard wines, as well as the Sparkling wines, Klostersekt and MATHÄI Brut.
Visit Stift Klosterneuburg, for an impressive wine tasting experience and historical tour. The estate offers an outstanding tour of the winery with a visit of the baroque cellar complex, four underground levels. During the tour, you will learn about wine production in the estate and enjoy excellent Austrian wines. Also, when at the monastery, you can have a bite at their great café on a huge terrace overlooking the beautiful gardens. Or, get a tour of the church and monastery where you can see the famous Verdun Altar. In fact, since there is so much to do and see you should spend at least a full afternoon, to have an unforgettable experience.
The winery is in the Austrian wine regions of Burgenland, southeast of Vienna on the gentle slopes above Lake Neusiedl. Jost Höpler founded the winery in the 1970’s; today Christof Höpler Jost’s son runs the estate.
Weingut Höpler has over 50 hectares of vineyards in the Leithaberg Hills. Here they grow Grüner Veltliner, Pinot Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc grapes to produce 55% white wine. Also, Blaufränkisch, St. Laurent, Zweigelt, Syrah and Merlot grapes grow in the vineyards and produce 40% red wine. A blend of Pinot Noir, St. Laurent, and Blaufränkisch grapes makes the Rose wine. Weingut Höpler also makes Sweet and Single Vineyard wines.
The elegant, delicate and versatile wines produced by the winery led it to become the number one exporter of Austrian wines to America. In fact, the winery exports 70% of its wine production and the wine is available in most stores worldwide. Also, the wines receive many awards and high reviews from competitions and top wine critics
Unforgettable Austrian Wineries and Wine Experiences
These 3 Austrian wineries are samples of the outstanding wineries spread out in the region. Furthermore, these wineries have embraced innovation and modern winemaking processes to produce fine Austrian wine. As a result, Austrian wineries are helping the country to make its way to be a top quality wine producer in the world.